Did You Know?
- According to the NSAI, there are 80% fewer full time vocational songwriters than there were 10 years ago
- According to digitalmusicnews.com, it would take approximately 288 million streams of a song for a songwriter to make the average annual salary of a Spotify employee. FYI the most streamed song EVER, Lean On Me by Major Lazer (feat M0 $ DJ SNAKE), has been streamed 586 million times, accumulating 2 WHOLE YEARS of that average salary.
- Songwriters basically have not been given a "raise" since 1977. Would you be able to keep working at your job if you made 1977 wages in 2016?
- Songwriters are the only trade group in American History who have not been allowed to set their own rates.
- Songwriters are the most heavily regulated part of the music industry. A stunning 75% of their income is controlled by the federal government.
- Songwriters fuel the entire music industry while suffering under WWI and WWII-era laws and regulations.
- Warner is pulling in 2 million a day from streaming, Sony $3.3m a day and UMG, 4 million a day. The three majors are now cumulatively turning over just under $10m every 24 hours from streaming platforms.